Heroic Leadership by Chris Lowney is a must read for anyone truly interested in what it takes to become a great leader and who wants to get away from the pabulum of whatever latest fad is being touted based on looking at the current top business performers.
This list or that list of the great companies changes dramatically as top performers fall from grace about every ten years. I have read that the average stay on the Fortune 500 is now 15 years and dropping.
Mr.Lowney presents a 450 year old company still going strong that helped to radically change and improve the world in a few years and survived and prospered through earth shaking world events. The Jesuits company sent its members around the world at a time other Catholic groups were huddling in monasteries.
Following are some of my notes on the Virtues that helped create these Heroic Leaders and are available to us today. I have moderately remolded the wording of some of Mr. Lowney points to help make them more understandable to me. Get his book to get the source document.
In an increasingly rapid changing world- how do we make change our friend; not our enemy?
Heroic Leadership has to be embraced one leader at a time.
Look for Top Tier Talent – T3
The 4 Leadership Virtues
- Faith in Action
- Indifference from unhealthy attachments
- My non negotiables- who; culture; purpose
- Confidence to embrace change
- Not a 1 time project- but a daily self-examination
- Motto “More”- relentlessly aim for something greater
- Mission “Help Souls” (I Care)
- Look to future with optimism and hope- break immediate gratification bias; Optissimi- the very best Emotional Quotient
- Make the mission personal and do it
- Create supporting culture
- Give every individual an opportunity for meaningful contribution
- Gives passion and purpose to DI and HH.
- Trumps fear; opposite of apathy
- Vision to see each person’s treasure of talent, potential, dignity
- Courage, passion, and commitment to unlock that treasure
- Resulting loyalty and mutual support of an inspired team.
- Foundation Self Awareness’s – Vital attitude of indifference- no unhealthy attachments (I Don’t Care)
- More than smart, hardworking and creative. More than thinking out of the box. It is- Living outside of the box!
- Get out of binary trap (yes or no) – All the world’s possibilities are open.